Friday, August 21, 2009

Three New Developments in Life

Over the last couple of months, three new events have happened in life which is bringing a kind of solace and make me happy in a way indescribable. They are essentially from within the realms of my heart and represent the real me. They are providing a new direction, holding promises and opening other doors. They are like a whiff of fresh air and they talk to me about freedom.

Most of the time I wonder why I became a CA. I am not a good CA at all. I am most unfit and have no clue about what is going on in the profession. I was not meant for this. I think I was meant to fly like a free bird, roam the earth, rest wherever it pleases me and eat whatever is available. The only problem that’s holding me back is fear. I am scared. Scared about how long and how far I can take it. The same fear is on the other side as well, that is, I am also scared about how long I can carry on as an uninterested CA.

Coming back to the positive side, let me talk about the three new wonderful things.

Classical Music

That’s right, classical music. Truly I know nothing about music. Lyrics, raag, taal, mukhda, antara and such other exotic terms mean nothing to me. Even with Indian film music, I only care for the rhythm and melody. So like a fool I just wanted to try something new and went to Deshpande Sangeet Samaroh organized by SCZCC and got hooked. It was a three days affair and I ended up attending all the days. HA!

The interesting thing which I learnt was in the form of a divine realization that it is the ‘sound’ per se which people are crazy for. The bottom line is that the sound created by the vocalist and the sound created by the musical instrument is all that matters. The sound before the sound, the sound after the sound, the pitch and decibel of the sound, the dimensions (length, breadth and width) of the sound, the impact and the effect of the sounds, the strength of the throat carrying the sound, the smoothness, richness and the power of the sound. Everything is the sound. I was reminded of a famous line form some text, “At the beginning of the world there was the sound”.

There are some rules on which classical music is based and within these rules there is possibility of great variety. People love variety. I am still very certain that I know nothing about music, but whatever it is, it sounds great.

Motor cycle travel

I took my brothers Honda Unicorn and set off for Ramtek. Before the start I was doubtful about myself whether I could do it. I packed my clothes into a shoulder bag, put on a helmet and took off. Initially after the start I rode slowly. After reaching the destination there was tremendous pain in my bums and at the tip of the back bone. Walking bow-legged I somehow parked the bike and reached the reception counter. It was a mixed feeling of pain and joy and I didn’t know what to say or do. I simply decided to have lunch.

During this trip I walked a lot. On the first day it was three hours and on the second day it was five hours, at a stretch. I walked through mountains, forests, steps leading to temple up and down, steep and easy, early morning, afternoon and evening. There was such happiness, what do I say. I never imagined that I could do it, I had never imagined that I would do it and in the end I did it. I expressed a lot of gratefulness to all and everything which aided me in this achievement.

Teaching

I had given it up seven or eight years ago because it was taking a lot of my time and returns were meager. I wanted to earn more. In this intermittent time period I realized that I had screwed up my life. So I went up to the Head of the Dept of Business Management one fine day and expressed my desire to teach. He obliged and offered me the subject of my choice. I selected ‘Business Ethics’ for the second year students.

This is the subject which has caused me to lose interest in my profession, this is the subject which I do not follow in my practice but I choose this subject to preach to the students. I want to teach them to be brave and stand upright in life.

In the very first period the students declared that it was not possible to be ethical in life, forget about business. I realize that it is an uphill task for me but I love this challenge.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Suman,
Iam a Sr.Banker by profession. However I often feel that I was not born to do this. Life has given all of us so much, but what we have actually given back which might be remembered as a contribution.
Iam often having a fight with myself. I feel my heart is showing me he right path but my mind rejects that. At present, my inner self is like a mute spectator to this conflict. We have also been taught that "The head should rule the heart". Don’t know why but it gives me nice feeling writing this mail to you.

Time to go,

Regards

Rajesh